Friday, July 22, 2011

NEWTOWN: Perspex etching

(Denison St, Newtown, Sydney)

This etching depicts a bird in flight while also half-full of liquid. Atop this liquid is a floating paper hat.

Beside the bird is a short passage which states:

"I miss you. I hope that you still draw sometimes."

Is the bird taking a message from one person to another? Is the bird a metaphor phor how 'feelings' are transmitted between human entities?

This work is incredibly sad. So sad because we don't know who made it, but they have created the image of a deep internal monologue. We are supposed to hear the artist's thoughts


This is possibly one of the saddest pieces of art I've seen in a while. In a way, it reminds me of the emotional hit of seeing Vincent van Gogh's Starry Night Over the Rhone. Because I know who van Gogh is, his work resonates more with me.

And this piece resonates because we can read what the artist may be thinking.

Would Acid Midget resonate with you more if I was more 'open' with my feelings?

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Newtown Street Art







No comments: